I am in the middle of reading the biography of Saul Steinberg, who I have always thought was one of the 20th centuries greatest artists, cartoonist, visual philosopher and all around master draftsman.
Been looking at lots of his work online and today I had a play making a Steinberg style landscape with stamps... It was fun.
Thursday, September 7, 2017
Thursday, July 27, 2017
I was revisiting my tiled patterns and wondered if I could add some dimension to it. Here is what happened.
1) Put a tiled square onto the surface of an isometric cube.
2) Seemed interesting so I grabbed a few other tiles, a bit rough around the edges ...
3) I tried using just shading on the pattern to give some dimension.
4) And tried the same in colour but it didn't quite work...
5) ... it needed some background shading to help...
6) ...and here with flat pattern on shaded background
7) But it seemed most interesting when I offset the background. Three tones in the whole thing!
Tuesday, April 25, 2017
Monday, April 10, 2017
Saturday, March 25, 2017
Saturday, March 4, 2017
I was trying to get the sort of effect of the bush that Fred McCubbin did with thick oil paint... but digitally. Needs more work but I found it interesting. Be good to see if this could be done much bigger.