Thursday, November 11, 2010

Bushscapes Post #1

I am going to move this post from my old blog, just so that you can get up to speed on what I have been working on lately.


Bushscapes 1 early ideas

One of my big projects last semester was working on a technique to help me generate Australian bush landscape pictures, digitally.

They are supposed to be for use as animation or game backgrounds, maybe even backgrounds for kids books, etc.

I think these ones are still a bit too detailed, so I will have to work more at trying to keep them simple and more stylised.

I started thinking about this late last year and took some early directions from the Hanna Barbera cartoons of Yogi Bear & The Flinstones as seen on John Kricfalusi excellent blog John K's Stuff.

Note the orange skies and such simple foliage.




Then I tried using making some photoshop brushes, like this one of just one tree used over and over and a few grass brushes.



Here are several of my first brushes to get that scrubby bush look.







And using those brushes I made this image which I was pretty happy with as it only took about half-an-hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment